A wonderful concoction that perfectly straddles the divide between sweet and savoury today. A jalapeño chipotle sour cream corn bread that is just perfect with chilli, dipped in sour cream, or all on its own, with perhaps a cheeky slice or two of cheddar.
The marriage of sweet to savoury, and spice to richness, is nothing new, as chilli chocolate, and wasabi fudge cakes clearly demonstrate. This recipe makes a kind of corn bread cake, which, although you wouldn’t want to cover it with icing and candles and present it at a birthday, has enough sweetness to move it beyond standard corn bread.
The jalapeños and chipotle cut through the sweetness with a spicy hit that packs as much of a punch as you want it to! I added nearly a whole jar of jalapeños, but that’s all about personal taste and taste bud fortitude in the face of chillies!
Jalapeño Chipotle Sour Cream Cornbread Recipe
• ¼ cup softened butter
• 1 tbsp granulated white sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup gluten free plain flour (I use Dove’s Farm Organics)
• 2/3 cup coarse corn meal
• 2 tsps gluten free baking powder
• ½ cup sour cream
• ½ cup milk
• ½ tsp salt
• 2 tsp chipotle paste
• As many chopped jalapeños as you want!
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C if fan assisted, 200C if not.
2. Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl.
3. Add eggs one at a time.
4. Add sour cream, milk, and chipotle paste.
5. Add final ingredients; flour, corn meal, baking powder, salt, and jalapeños.
6. Pour the batter into about an 8 inch square baking pan, lined with greaseproof paper. If you want the bread to rise in the middle leave the batter flat to obtain that “risen cake” look, if you prefer a flat looking finish smooth the batter to dip in the centre and rise at the sides.
7. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until risen and springingly firm to the touch. Remove from tray and cool on wire rack.
Delicious served with chilli, which is how we’re having this bread tonight!