Whew! Just the title of this treat is a mouthful, but that doesn’t even start to compare to the wonderful flavour explosion this packs. Three types of chocolate in a moist, dense brownie base, topped with a layer of amazing vanilla New York style baked cheesecake, and finished off with a fresh raspberry sugared cream to offset all the richness perfectly.
One of my most popular treats, inspired by a similar creation from the Hummingbird Bakery. This recipe is different not just due to being gluten free, but also, ahem, better. The brownie for this is AMAZING, rather than just being a convenient base it is a treat in and of itself. In fact, this is also a recipe for insanely good gluten free triple chocolate brownies if you leave out the toppings. Two for the price of one today at the Halo Baking Emporium and Chocolaterie, what value!
This recipe makes, well, a lot. Depending on how generously you want to cut this you could feed 12 or 24.
Gluten Free Triple Chocolate Brownie with Baked Vanilla Cheesecake Topping and Raspberry Cream Recipe
For the brownie:
• 200g high quality dark chocolate. 75% and up cocoa content.
• 200g unsalted butter
• 75g white chocolate
• 75g milk chocolate
• 275g golden caster sugar
• 3 eggs
• 80g plain gluten free flour (I use Dove Farm Organics)
• 40g cocoa powder (I use Green & Blacks)
For the cheesecake topping:
• 400g full fat cream cheese
• 150g icing sugar
• 1tsp vanilla extract
• 2 eggs
For the raspberry cream:
• 150g fresh raspberries
• 100g icing sugar
• 300ml double cream
1. Pre heat oven to 140C fan assisted, 160C if not. Line a 13 inch by 9 inch baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl, over a pan of just simmering water. Don’t let the bottom of the bowl touch the water.
3. Stir occasionally until the butter and chocolate has slowly all melted together into a rich shiny liquid.
4. Remove from the pan of water and leave on the side to cool.
5. Roughly chop the milk and white chocolate into chunks.
6. Whip together the eggs and sugar until thick and creamy. This will take a few minutes, but stick at it.
7. Pour the cooled chocolate and butter mixture into the sugar and egg mixture.
8. Fold gently. At first the mixture will be stripey and blotchy, but after a few minutes of gentle folding it will come together into a more coherent colour. It will still be mottled, that’s fine.
9. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the mixture. Fold in gently.
10. Add the chocolate chunks and stir until just mixed.
11. Gloop it out into a baking tray lined with baking paper, and gently smooth the top.
12. Cream the cream cheese (obviously) together with the sugar and vanilla until glossy.
13. Add the eggs one at a time and cream. Be careful not to overbeat this mixture. If you do, the cream cheese may separate.
14. Very carefully spread this mixture on top of the brownie mixture.
15. Smooth the top, and place in the preheated oven for 40 – 50 minutes. You want the edges of the cheesecake topping to be golden and the middle just coloured.
16. Leave to cool in the tray, and once cool, refrigerate for an hour or overnight if it’s late and you’re tired and you’re making this for the next day.
17. Whip together the cream, raspberries, and sugar until well blended and smelling amazing.
18. Spread on top of the first two layers.
19. Best to then refrigerate until serving, as if it gets too warm the cream may start to slip a little.
This is an amazingly decadent and delicious combination, so save it for special occasions when you really want to wow them!
Wowing my audience as ever, Halo from the Halo Baking Emporium and Chocolaterie in Moseley Birmingham UK.